Here’s the first Monoprinting video tutorial, as promised.
I’ll give instructions here so you can follow along with the video if you like.
- 1. The tools you will need to follow along are are; brayers (rollers), inks, nitrile gloves, Somerset Velvet Antique printing paper, standard copy/printer paper, masking tape, an old toothbrush, and some shoe brushes. You may also need plexiglass, or plate glass and a sheet of cheap white paper (I used wallpaper) – these will make up your printing surface.
2. Ink up the plexiglass (perspex) surface to make a smooth, even surface of ink (I used water soluble block printing ink from Speedball in this case).
3. Mask out an area of ink so that a small square remains exposed.
4. Line up the paper by eye and make a hinge from another strip of masking tape.
5. Then proceed to make marks on the back of the paper using the end of a paintbrush, the toothbrush, and a shoe brush. Check your progress as you go along by lifting the paper from time-to-time.
6. When satisfied with the result, remove the paper carefully from the inked surface and peel off the marking tape hinge.
Where to get supplies
The Speedball brayer and ink are available from most art supply stores.
The gloves, masking tape, plexiglass and wallpaper are available from most hardware stores. If you do buy masking tape from a hardware store, make sure it is “low-tack”, meaning it is not too sticky so that it won’t ruin your paper.
I get paper from Lawrence Art Supplies, who also stock the ink, masking tape, and their own range of better quality brayers.
Here are the links for videos 2 and 3;
Monoprinting – Part 2
Monoprinting – Part 3
If you have any questions, leave a comment on this post, or drop me a line on the contact page.
Don’t forget you can sign up for weekly blog updates using the box on the top right.
Subscribe To The Newsletter
Join the mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from Printmaking Arts
Excellent post. Keep posting such kind of information on your site.
Im really impressed by your site.
Hello there, You’ve performed an excellent job.
I will certainly digg itt and in my view recommend to my
friends.I’m sure they will be benefited from this web site.